Energy Vampires; How to Spot and Deal with Them
Energy Vampires – a strange word for a very real phenomenon. We all encounter people throughout the day who tend to zap our energy very quickly. If your an empath, and/or or a highly sensitive person like I am, you will be extremely aware of who is “feeding” on your energy and when.
Regardless if you are an empath or not, you can learn how to spot and deal with energy vampires quickly and efficiently through a few simple practices.
Energy Vampires; How to Spot and Deal with Them
Obviously, not everyone has empathic qualities, nor know how to tune into their body, so the energy drain from an energy vampire can be be very confusing to deal with. The truth is that most people are not aware that they are siphoning someone else s energy.
There are a very few obscure people who do know that they are sucking your energy, but regardless if the energy drain is intentional or not, this article will help you keep your own bio-energy in tact.
In most cases energy vampires are those who take from other people instead of giving. They also are those who tend to be drama makers. One thing to remember is that an energy vampire is often not a stranger but those you know such as work collegues, friends, family members, and even romantic partners.
How to Tell if Someone is an Energy Vampire
Most often energy vampires are those people who are constantly creating drama wherever they go, as well as those who are constantly seeking attention and reassurance.
Other signs are:
- Chronic complainers, i.e. complaining in order to get sympathy
- Perpetual Gossipers
- Not returning favors or giving back
- Playing the victim
- Those who are bullies or who openly display resentment and anger issues
- Never taking responsibility for their actions
- Using guilt or manipulation in order to get their way
- Just all around negative people – nothing is good
How Do You Know if an Energy Vampire is Sucking Your Energy?
You can usually spot an Energy Vampire by the way that you feel when you are around them. Most common symptoms are feeling very drained mentally or physically, which can include feelings of stress and anxiety, and even headaches when you are around them, or shortly after you leave their presence.
Other symptoms include:
- Nausea either before of after interacting with this person
- Neck, back, shoulder, and chest pain
- Frustrated or angry feelings for no apparent reason when this person is around
- Irritability directly after contact with this person
- Intuitively trying to avoid this person at all costs
- Anxiety, stress or guilt for no apparent reason
- Tightness in the chest or a shortness of breath
- Feeling nervous and uncomfortable around this person
It’s also important to realize that energy vampires are not always people. Negative television programming, news, radio, and other media can drain your energy too.
How to Deal with Energy Vampires
The good news is that you do not need to be the victim. One of the most empowering things you can do for yourself is to avoid this person all together.
Obviously you can’t always do that if it is a family member or co-worker. So here are some suggestions.
- Set a time limit for your exposure to this person. I am serious. This works even for family members. In family settings you can talk to this person in spurts. Talk to them for 5 to 10 minutes, and then break away and go mingle with someone else. Then if necessary, go spend another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Refuse to become emotionally engaged with them. This is very important because the energy vampire feeds off of the emotional reactions of others. Don’t argue with them, gossip, or perpetuate their drama in any form. Stay present with a neutral point of view.
- Shield yourself before and during all encounters. Simply visualize a brilliant white shield around you, or even a huge mirror, that bounces all of their negativity right back at them. They will subconsciously feel this and you will happily be souring their source of “food”.
- Keep your conversations light and positive. Should this individual try to go on a negative rant or tirade try to turn the conversation around to something pleasant. If you can’t politely excuse yourself from the conversation.
- Finally, and most importantly remember that you are the one who is in control of your energy. Reset your energy often while in this persons presence by mentally repeating a phrase or mantra such as “I am divinely surrounded and protected by God and the Angels.”
Knowing the signs and symptoms are a definite start to spotting and dealing with energy vampires. But the bottom line is that the the stronger and more empowered you are the less likely you will be the victim of an energy vampire.
Have you had experiences with Energy Vampires? Please share your thoughts, opinions and experiences below!