Self Care for Empaths; Useful Tips to Keep You Grounded
Now that the recent Mercury Retrograde has ended I felt guided to write a blog post about self care for empaths. The energies of the last Mercury Retrograde affected me on many levels. And I am not alone. Numerous clients reported feeling its effects – especially those who are psychically sensitive.
What is an Empath?
I believe self care for your emotional and energetic needs are imperative, but more so for those who are empaths. The emotional and energetic needs of an empath require a bit more attention and self-care. As an empath myself, I regularly encounter other empaths in my client work and I can easily spot them on an energetic level.
Empaths are hypersensitive individuals and many times do not consciously realize just how much energy they process and carry for others. Empaths are also highly spiritually connected, which is a trait that brings with it very specific self-care needs which is the focus of this article.
How Do I Know if I’m Empath?
While it’s true that an empath is someone who feels the emotions of others, it doesn’t quite capture the fullness of what being empathic really means. An empath intuitively (and often physically) feels the emotions of others, and find that it is hard to be in places like hospitals, where there is emotional distress. They are often caretakers and healers with a strong desire to help; sometimes to a fault.
Energetically their bodies are a conduit for the energy of others, which can bring physical problems if that energy is not grounded properly. Quite often, empaths may also experience extreme burn out by putting another’s physical and emotional needs before their own.
As an empath myself it took me a while to realize how psychically sensitive I really was and how all the erratic energy was affecting me. I would plan trips to the grocery, shopping mall, Costco, and other errands at times when there would be less people. I would also get exhausted easily or overwhelmed in a large crowd of people such as at sport stadiums, concerts, etc. Consequently, I often opted to stay away from such places unless I prepared myself beforehand.
Self-care for empaths means tending to your emotional, physical, and psychic body in a way that others do not have to. When I have clients who are empaths, I share with them several useful tips of things they need to do every day to ensure optimal health which are outlined for you below.
Useful Tips for Self-Care
Much like you need to brush your teeth every day along with other daily hygienic activities, empaths need to tend daily to their energetic body. This can include:
- Daily energy clearing and grounding. I tell my clients that a good way to create ritual and intention around this is to spend a few minutes in the shower visualizing the water clearing away any accumulated psychic gunk. You can also work with sage, Epsom salts, or sea salt baths.
- Creating sacred space. Your home needs to be a sanctuary where the chaos and the din of the outside world cannot cross your threshold. It needs to be a place where you can recharge your batteries, feel safe, and supported.
- Meditating. Getting still and quiet, even if it’s for 10 minutes a day, will help you reconnect to your energetic and psychic body. It will also help you ground through your breath. You can visualize yourself connected to the earth as well as the wisdom of your guides and angels.
- Crystals. Crystals are a great way to help mitigate energetic sensitivity. Black tourmaline, for example, is a powerful protection stone as is Amethyst.
- Detox. Part of having good self-care is knowing what is right for you and what is not. If there is a behavior, person, substance, or situation that is overly toxic to your sensitive body, it will let you know in the form of illness and emotional distress. Learn to listen to your intuition. What is it telling you that you need more of and less of?
- Energy and Body Work. Empaths filter, channel, and transmute energy for the collective. It can be overwhelming, especially if you’re not taking care of yourself. Reiki, acupuncture, and other healing modalities such as massage are all ways to ground and keep your energy body running smoothly.
- Boundaries. When you have a strong Neptune or Pisces in your natal chart, it’s hard to know where you end and someone else begins. You feel everything so strongly. Being an empath means cultivating good boundaries and learning to say no.
- Animals. Pets are more than just our companions. They also help to transmute energy and help keep our heart chakra open.
- Nature. The earth, trees, and ocean are all invaluable tools to help us ground and transmute energy. If you can, spend time in the sanctuary of the natural world. Don’t forget to thank the elements for their service and support.
Tips curated from Katie Sweetman, EmpoweringAstrology.com
Of course, there are other things you can do to keep your energetic hygiene clean, clear, and grounded. These tips are merely a few places to start with your own self-care routine. But as always, trust your own intuition. Self-care for the empath does not have to be a cumbersome process. It does however require your regular attention – just like brushing your teeth.
The good news is that once you establish an effective self-care regimen for yourself you will not only think and feel clearly, but you will also feel energetically light as a feather!
Did you enjoy this article? Do you have any other tips to share? Sharing is caring. Let us know by commenting below . . .